The Best Tooth-Friendly Treats for the Holidays
This holiday season we all have a tendency to over-indulge and eat a fair amount of sweet treats. We all know that it is not good for little tummies (or parents’ waistlines). Tooth Fairy Smiles has put together a great list of alternatives to snack on, or that make great gifts this holiday season that are tooth-friendly.
Here are the best tooth-friendly treats and trinkets for the holidays:
- Fruit: It is an overall healthier alternative to candy. Try offering fruits that you wouldn’t normally eat, like pomegranates or star fruit. Fruits like apples are also helpful to munch on after consuming food or drinks that are sugary or could potentially stain teeth.
- Timer: Two minutes is the perfect amount of time to brush. Giving a child his personal timer could promote ownership and pride of a job well done. It could also fun for kiddos to control the time and watch it count down.
- Floss: Flavored floss is a fun way to encourage regular flossing. There are also fun disposable flossers that are a great way to introduce the habit or to use while on the go.
- Alcohol-Free Mouthwash: Swishing with alcohol-free mouthwash is an extra defense against plaque. Depending upon your preference there are also brands that contain fluoride.
- Tongue Scraper: The tongue is often coated with a bacteria-filled film that can cause bad breath and promote tooth decay if not addressed. Tongue scrapers will remove this film in just a few swipes. This tool is best introduced to older children who already have been brushing safely and independently for a while.
- Reusable Water Bottle: Drinking water throughout the day helps to flush the mouth of food particles and bacteria which cause tooth decay. A personal, reusable water bottle is a great way to encourage this healthy habit. There are many styles and designs available.
- Xylitol Sweetened Gum: Studies have shown that Xylitol use can reduce cavities by up to 70 percent. The gum enhances mineral absorption in tooth enamel, increasing its strength. A natural sugar, Xylitol has 40 percent fewer calories and 75 percent fewer carbohydrates than ordinary sugar. It makes a wonderful tooth-friendly treat for all ages!
- Fun Toothbrush: There are many whimsical manual toothbrush designs that kids love, and a plethora of useful electric toothbrushes, both of which will encourage regular brushing. Some toothbrushes will also feature a musical timer or a favorite character.
- Tooth Fairy Box: A special box for your child to put her lost tooth in for the Tooth Fairy will make losing a tooth even more of a special event. This is a perfect opportunity for parents to start a conversation about better oral health care.
If you have any questions about the best tooth-friendly treats and trinkets to offer your child, or to buy as gifts, please contact Tooth Fairy Smiles. Our staff is knowledgeable and passionate about helping parents and caretakers promote optimal oral health care.